Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sunday on the porch



We had beautiful weather this past Sunday.  Spring has been sticking around Austin a little longer than normal this year and I love it.  I do enjoy summer but I know how brutal triple digit temps with high humidity can be. And that weather will be around a lot longer than this beautiful spring weather. 

To enjoy this weather we made some Blackberry Mojitos. I'm convinced you can add any fruit in a Mojitos and it will be delicious.  We use the recipe below to make our Mojitos at the house. The recipe is very loose.... Meaning you can make adjustments based on how you like your drinks.  Want your drink stronger? Use more rum.  Want it less sweet? Use less simple syrup. 

1.5 oz white rum
1.25 oz simple syrup
2-3 lime wedges 
4-5 good sized mint leaves
Club soda
1oz sweet and sour

Squeeze your lime wedges in a glass(throw them in the glass once squeezing if you want) , add in the mint and the simple syrup and muddle. Add the rum and sweet and sour then pour into a shaker tin. Shake it a few times and our back into glass. Add some ice then top it off with the club soda. Stir and enjoy!!   If you want to add fruit, add it in when you muddle. 


As you can see in the picture below our patio table is now covered in plants. I decided to see if I could keep alive some veggies and herbs. I have beef steak tomatoes, jalapeños, another type of pepper that is mild(can't remember the name... Starts with a C), cilantro and mint. When I selected everything I didn't realize that I was practically growing a salsa garden :) Just need some onions.  I have kept everything alive for about a month now. I hope I can keep it alive to get at least a few batches of salsa to go with our Mojitos :)




Blackberry Mojito



Jimmy hiding in the potted plants



No comments: